Agronomy/Weed Science Undergraduate Research Assistant
Department of Agronomy, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Position Availability: May – August, 2019
Part-time opportunity during the 2019 Spring and Fall semesters is also available if taking classes at UW-Madison.
The Cropping Systems Weed Science program (WiscWeeds Lab) at UW-Madison is looking for undergraduate students to assist our activities in the summer. Students will be involved in greenhouse, lab and field research investigating the biology and management of troublesome weeds in Wisconsin corn and soybean production systems.
- Work with WiscWeeds team members to execute field and greenhouse research trials:
– Trial layout and setup
– Chemical mixing and application
– Data collection and entry
- Help with shop/lab upkeep and organization
- Assist with field demonstration days
Candidate should have an interest in an agricultural-related career. Knowledge of common agricultural practices and/or farming experience is preferred but not required.
- May be required to work long days and potentially weekends during peak research periods.
- Comfortable working around agricultural equipment and pesticides.
- Exposure to warm temperatures outside and in the greenhouse during the summer.
*Potential career development opportunities:
- Participate in the student weed contest in July 2019. Details: http://ncwss.org/weed-contest/
- Create and present a research poster at the North Central Weed Science Society annual meeting in December, 2019. Details: http://ncwss.org/annual-meeting/
Those interested should email either Ryan DeWerff, Weed Science Research Specialist (email@example.com) or Dr. Rodrigo Werle, Assistant Professor and Extension Weed Scientist (firstname.lastname@example.org).
You can also make an appointment