Join other undergraduate students to grow and develop essential data management skills during the 2018/2019 researchERS program! Food provided.
To enroll in researchERS, go to the website: https://www.library.wisc.edu/ers-data/
What is the researchERS program?
researchERS is a free program open to any current undergraduate UW-Madison student. It features a series of evening meetings (food provided) and field trips related to current practices for managing the data used in research projects or lab research in any discipline.
The program provides hands-on training in topics like data cleaning and visualization, guest speakers on topics like research reproducibility, and field trips to local companies to see jobs that work with data outside of the university setting.
Who can join? And how much does it cost?
Any undergraduate student in any major currently enrolled at UW-Madison can join. Students working with primary research will get the most out of this program. No previous knowledge or experience with data is required.
The researchERS program believes that diversity benefits everyone, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, welcoming environment for all participants to grow and learn together.
In this program, you’ll:
- Locate and utilize disciplinary data repositories for data access, re-use, and dissemination.
- Identify appropriate data sources, import data, convert it when necessary, so it can be used by downstream processing tools as well a recognize and resolve error or corruption of data sets.
- Understand the true value of your data and how others might use it later!
- Learn about intellectual property, privacy and confidentiality issues, and disciplinary ethos when it comes to sharing data.
- Master best practices for management, description, and curation to facilitate re-use and reproducibility
- Identify the benefits and costs (financial, staff, time, etc) of proper data storage and preservation infrastructures.
Questions / Comments
Please contact Heather Shimon at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions about the program.
To enroll in researchERS, go to the website:www.library.wisc.edu/ers-data