June 11, 2018-August 1, 2018
Work with some of the world’s leading researchers to push the frontiers of knowledge this summer! Apply for the WISCIENCE Entering Research – Summer Program (ER-SP) to take part in an immersive research experience and receive a $1,500 scholarship. No prior research experience is required or necessary.
To be eligible for ER-SP, you must:
- Be interested in researching science, technology, engineering, or math (STEM)
- Have little to no research experience
- Have a confirmed research mentor for Summer Term (for help finding a mentor, you can attend one of our seminars this spring)
- Complete an application
If accepted into the program, you must:
- Enroll in Integrated Science 299: Independent Study (3 credits) and Integrated Science 260: Entering Research (1 credit) this summer
- Participate in the UW–Madison Summer Research Poster Session on August 1
Preparing your application
ER-SP has rolling admission, which means that we respond to applications as they come in rather than waiting for a deadline. The 2018 application period opens on February 15, and application review begins on March 15.
Find the application at Scholarships@UW-Madison.
On the application you will need to:
- List the faculty mentor you will work with in summer 2018 as a recommender. They will need to complete a series of questions as part of your application.
- Answer the following questions:
- Why are you interested in engaging in undergraduate research and what do you hope to learn from the research experience?
- An important component of this research program is the cohort (or group) experience in the Entering Research class. What do you anticipate you will gain from and contribute to the group?
- Describe a time when you experienced an academic challenge. How did you navigate that situation and what did you learn that can be applied to a future challenge?
Need Help Finding a Mentor?
Register for a workshop to learn more about the program and learn how to find a research mentor. Workshops take place in BioCommons at Steenbock Library on the following dates:
- January 30, 6-7:30pm
- February 7, 6-7:30pm
- February 12, 6-7:30pm
Contact Dr. Amber Smith, ER-SP Director with questions.This article was posted in Campus & Community Involvement.