The UW-Madison’s South Asian Flagship Languages Initiative (SAFLI), will bring Boren Scholarship and Fellowship recipients to the South Asia Summer Language Institute (SASLI) to study Hindi and Urdu. In 2016, SASLI will be offering Hindi and Urdu at the third-year level, in addition to their current offerings of first and second year.
Interested UW-Madison Undergraduate Students your campus Boren/SAFLI application deadline is January 8th, 2016! Please contact our UW campus Boren scholarship representative, Matthew Geisler <firstname.lastname@example.org> with questions about the application process.
Below is information about SAFLI that we would ask that you pass on to any who may be interested.
In 2016-17, Boren Scholarship and Fellowship applicants have the opportunity to study Hindi or Urdu as part in the South Asian Flagship Languages Initiative (SAFLI). Boren Scholars and Fellows selected for this initiative will receive funding for intensive language study and cultural immersion, beginning with a summer 2016 domestic program at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, followed by an overseas program in India. Please see our website for more information on the South Asian Flagship Languages Initiative: http://www.borenawards.org/
|Boren Awards: Scholarships and Fellowships for …
Boren Scholarships and Fellowships provide unique funding opportunities for U.S. undergraduate and graduate students to study less commonly taught languages in world …
- Summer Program: The summer domestic programs will be at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, through the South Asia Summer Language Institute (SASLI). SASLI begins on June 13 – August 5, 2016. Please see the program website for more information for students: http://sasli.wisc.edu/students.html
- Overseas Program: The fall overseas programs will take place at the American Institute of Indian Studies (AIIS) centers in Jaipur for Hindi and Lucknow for Urdu. Dates for the overseas programs are yet to be confirmed. This program will be administered by American Councils and UW-Madison jointly. Students will be considered UW-Madison students for the duration of the overseas programs.
- Language Level: The SAFLI program is appropriate for applicants with no language proficiency, as well as those with intermediate or advanced proficiency in Hindi and/or Urdu.
- Application: The applications for the 2016-2017 Boren Scholarships and Fellowships are now available at www.borenawards.org.
- Undergraduate deadline is: February 9, 2016
- Graduate deadline is: January 28, 2016
The Boren Awards, an initiative of the National Security Education Program, provide unique funding opportunities for U.S. undergraduate and graduate students to study in Africa, Asia, Central & Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East, where they can add important international and language components to their educations.
To learn more about the Boren Awards and SAFLI, to register for one of our upcoming webinars, and to access the on-line application, please visit www.borenawards.org. The schedule for webinars being held in January can be found at http://borenawards.org/webinars.html.